Arugula & Strawberry Salad
We maintain a raised bed strawberry patch right outside our kitchen door. From spring to fall our bed produces enough plump, delicious strawberries to satisfy our ravenous neighbor chipmunk and enable us to enjoy this salad several times a week. We also grow arugula from seed in nearby beds located in used half barrels. Fortunately our chipmunk does not seem to favor the zesty taste of our arugula!
Category : Vegetarian
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 4 cups baby arugula, or torn arugula leaves
- 2 cups sliced strawberries, (about 10 ounces)
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved and crumbled into small pieces (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Toast pecans in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and aromatic, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a salad bowl; let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add arugula, strawberries, Parmesan, pepper and salt. Sprinkle vinegar and oil over the salad; toss gently and serve at once.
Adapted from Eating Well for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)